|ABOUT ALUMNI HOUSE
With generous support from members of the Class of 1957 and
other alumni, Whittier College has established a permanent
“home” for alumni on campus in the Alumni House (formerly
Johnson Faculty Master House). Physically attached to
Johnson Residence Hall, the two-story Alumni House was
designed by the architectural firm of William Lloyd Jones,
Inc., and completed construction in 1991. A guest apartment
for alumni and other special visitors was added in 2007,
expanding the structure to approximately 3,500 square feet.
Since the early 1990s, Alumni House has served as both a
faculty-in-residence and a place to support the transition
of first-year students to college life. Unlike Hartley and
Garrett Houses, the programs and events at Alumni House
always focus on first-year students and now have been
expanded to include special programs with alumni visitors,
mentors and career services activities. Associate Professor
of English Sean Morris is the current faculty-in-residence
for Alumni House, through May of 2009.
ABOUT JOHNSON RESIDENCE HALL
The adjacent Johnson Residence Hall is named in honor of
Susan and Clifford Johnson. Susan Johnson was one of the
first women to join the College’s faculty in 1895, first
teaching science and mathematics, then later, the classics.
Clifford Bevan Johnson, her husband, was a member of the
College’s Board of Trustees for more than 30 years. In 1944,
the Johnsons made a generous donation of $100,000 that would
eventually endow the Susan and Clifford Johnson Library of
Quaker Literature, and make the construction of Johnson
Residence Hall possible in 1955.